Best weighted blankets adults2021
If you’ve ever come across any information about weighted blankets then you won’t be surprised to know that weighted blankets for adults usually have a positive impact on anxiety, sleep, sensory issues, autism, ADHD and sensory issues. click here.
Although best-weighted blankets adults have been used for a number of years among those who have special needs, this does not mean that they can’t have an impact on adults. But before we go dipper into science-backed advantages of weighted blankets lets first know what weighted blankets are.
What Are Adults Weighted Blankets and how Do They Work?
Weighted blankets are generally blankets filled with materials such as glass beads. The feeling that they produce physical pressure can result in a calming effect. These blankets use the principle of deep pressure stimulation or deep touch pressure to improve one’s relaxation.
Deep touch pressure generally helps to release serotonin that regulates some brain functions. Since weighted blankets come in different sizes, materials and weights choosing one basically depend on the preference. Since all weighted blankets provide some form of sensory inputs they are quite suitable for those with autism pressure disorder,
How to Use Top Rated Weighted Blankets for Adults
Weighted blankets can either be placed on top of the body when someone is lying down or draped on the shoulders of an individual. Whether you prefer using them at night or during the day one thing you’ll realize is that there is no right or wrong time of using weighted blankets. The application of weighted blanket adults, therefore, depends on what, when, and how the user intends to use the blankets.
No matter what you decide for a fabric preference, weight factor and wearing scenario you need to be mindful of any changes that you may realize as your body adjusts. You also need to check your moods, physiological responses, anxiety, and sleep patterns while using the blankets. This will ensure that you use them in the best way possible.
Benefits of A Weighted Blankets
• It combats stress. If there is something that affects nearly everybody then it’s stress. Stress can not only have a negative effect on your mental health but also on your physical and emotional state. The use of a weighted blanket with its deep touch can, therefore, significantly help you relieve yourself of stress.
• It helps alleviate restless leg syndrome. Most restless leg syndrome patients usually complain about creeping and tingling sensation on their legs that usually gets worse when they are sleeping. This can easily lead to insomnia the constant urge to move their legs may also be a problem while they are traveling by car or plane. Thankfully weight blankets can usually do a better job because of its comforting feeling on the legs.
• It helps with a sensory processing disorder. According to researchers, sensory processing disorder is a traffic jam to the brain. While information gets into the brain it somehow gets clogged and jumbled along the way. This will not only lead to meltdowns but anxiety as well. Sensory processing disorder can especially be challenging for those who lack emotional maturity.
• Studies have now shown that weighted blankets adults can produce a calming effect among adults who suffer from sensory processing disorders. The same research has also shown that weighted blankets can significantly help reduce the anxiety that normally comes as a result of the condition.
• Improves focus on ADHD. One of the most common issues with ADHD is the lack of focus. This problem can always affect both adults and children. While some ADHD patients have trouble completing a task, others are usually inclined to restlessness and impulsiveness. The bottom line is that ADHD poses a wide range of symptoms hence does not affect everyone in the same way.
• It helps in fibromyalgia pain. Also known as a silent disease, fibromyalgia is a condition that mostly affects women. Characteristics by idiopathic and chronic pain, this type of illness can be debilitating. Although certain drugs may help one to manage the symptoms, this condition doesn’t have any cure. The gently and firm pressure provided by weighted blankets can, therefore, help in preventing any flare-ups.
• It helps to boost the mood. When you are feeling down it might seem as if you’ll never feel normal again. Although it’s normal to feel irritable and grouchy, researchers believe that some bouts of sadness are normally caused by the many chemical changes in the brain.
• It boosts sleep quality. Not everyone who suffers bad sleep has insomnia. Sometimes what causes poor sleep is just fatigue. Although one needs to get the right amount of sleep, it’s also important to ensure that the sleep that one gets is adequate and restful enough. One way to improve is by using weighted blankets for adults.
• They can be used to support the elderly. According to adult weighted blankets reviews, weighted blankets have also proven to be quite useful to the elderly. As we age our sleep-wake cycle drastically changes. Anxiety, stress and chronic pain can further affect sleeping patterns thereby leading to insomnia.
Guide to Proper Caring and Washing Your Weighted Blankets For Adults
Weighted blankets for adults are not only heavy but also bulky as well. With the heaviest washable a heavy blanket weighing around 30lbs how can a normal house washer wash something that’s that big? And are all weighted blankets for adults machine washable?
Washable Weighted Blankets for Adults: Washing and Care
Just like other normal blankets out there weighted blankets are meant to be washable. However, since not all these blankets are the same you need to know how to go about this so you can take good care of them. Most top-weighted blankets are made of flannel, cotton, wool, fleece, and Minky among others.
Although some of these blankets have glass beads fillers others have plastic beads. The washing procedure of weighted blankets for adults, therefore, depends on their material and construction. It’s therefore important to know about this before you choose a blanket for your use.
How to Clean Your Washable Weighted Blankets for Adults
The washing procedure of any weighted blanket generally depends on the following
Cotton. A cotton fabric can always be hand washed, machine washed or cleaned in the best manner. When machine washing your cotton fabric make sure you do so at about 50 degrees Celsius or even lower. If you go beyond this temperature, you can easily shrink the cotton material. You, therefore, need to be very careful when cleaning your cotton material so you don’t end up destroying it. You should also avoid drying your cotton under the tumble dryer or the sun.
Flannel. Just like cotton, it’s also relatively easy to clean and wash flannel material. One thing that you need to do is to place it inside a washing machine at a gentle cycle and set it to warm or cold. However, unlike cotton, you can always dry your flannel material under the sun and ensure that it’s completely dry.
Minky. As compared to other weighted blankets material Minky is a material that washes easily. If you are cleaning a Minky material, it’s important to wash it alone so you don’t create friction between it and other materials. You also need to treat any stubborn stains using none chlorine bleach. Using gentle softener place the blanket in cold water machine Avoid using fabric softener since it can gel the soft fabrics such as Minky.
Wool. Wool is not only delicate but is also prone to shrinking hence need to be treated with a lot of care. Make sure you only use the detergents that are meant for delicate materials and avoid all the other detergents out there. Also do not tumble dry your weighted blankets made of wool since you may end up destroying its fibers. Instead, you need to blot it out with a towel or just hang it to dry.
Fleece. Just like other fabrics out there you also need to treat your fleece blanket for at least 30 minutes so as to soften the stain. Using a gentle detergent also make sure you wash your fleece blanket with warm water. More so, if you want to maintain its repellant finish you should avoid using a fabric softener on fleece.
Plastic fillers. These refer to beads that are made of virgin plastic. Do not wash blankets with plastic fillers on high temperatures since the fillers are likely to melt or even clump together and become useless.
Micro glass beads. Micro glass beads are not only tiny but are also having a similar feel to salt and sand crystals. Since glass beads, inner blankets do not melt you can wash them in warm water. However, make sure you avoid using hot water if you want to maintain their quality.
Sand. Sand materials are small, quiet and cheap weighted blankets fillers. But if you are looking for washable weighted blankets for adults they are not some of the best. When not dried well, and may also lead to clumps that may end up destroying your blankets completely. So you need to be very careful while dealing with sand.
Steel shot beads. As compared to other weighted blankets for adults fillers, steel shot beads are heavier. It’s therefore important to use a washing machine that can comfortably handle their weight. Just like glass beads fillers steel shot beads do not easily melt hence its quite safe to clean them using warm water.
Rice, beans and other organic filers. Organic weighted blankets for adult filers such as rice, beans, and corn are not suitable for a washable weighted blanket. You, therefore need to avoid washing weighted blankets with organic fillers frequently since you may end up destroying them. Since these fillers can become soggy they can easily rot or decompose when they are wet. So you need to try as much as possible to avoid this. Apart from this, there is also the risk of developing mold, insect infestation, and bacteria if you wash them often.
As compared to the inner duvet, covers for weighted blankets for adults are not usually that heavy. This means that you can easily wash your weighted blankets below 20 degrees inside your laundry room. However, any frequent washing can take a great toll on your washing machine hence you need to be careful about this.
If your weighted blankets for adults are above 20lbs in weight it’s important to use a commercial size washing machine. This will not only save your washing machine but also maintain the condition of your weighted blanket so it can last long.
When you are washing your weighted blanket with a machine, you need to consider its bulk and weight. You can wash your weighted blanket it’s below 20 lbs in your laundry room. However, it’s important to take note that frequent washing can easily take a toll on your washing machine and lead to its damage.
General Rules and Guidelines for Washing Washable Weighted Blankets for Adults
When purchasing your weighted blanket for adults, you need to ensure that the blanket is easy to wash. You must choose the ones with filllers that can be washed without any issue.
• Before washing your weighted blanket, ensure you inspect it fully. You also need to check the stains that might require removal before you can wash them. Preheating the dirt before putting it in a washing machine can prevent them from sticking on the fabric. It’s also important to check if there are any damages or tears on the blanket.
• When using a washing machine to wash the blanket, make sure you carefully consider its size and weight. If the blanket is too heavy for your washing machine then you need to take it to a professional washing machine that can handle it. This will greatly save your washing machine from wear and tear.
• Hand washing is more recommended. As compared to washing the machine, hand washing is usually much better. It’s, therefore, important to consider it. This is because hand washing will not put the blanket in the tear and the wear that the machine might put it into. Although hand washing might seem a bit difficult you need to know that it’s quite doable hence you don’t have to worry about doing it. When hand washing the blanket you need to avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals and instead use a mild detergent that might not destroy the fabric.
• If your weighted blanket comes with a cover make sure you separate the cover and then wash the blanket and the cover differently.
• Know the kind of fabric your weighted blanket for adults is made up of since each material comes with its laundry instruction you need to know about this before you can wash the blanket.
• Frequent washing of the blanket can greatly damage it. Since frequent washing of the blanket can destroy it, you need to know about this. if you need to wash the blanket just because of a particular stain it’s important to consider spot cleaning the stain using detergent.
• Wash your blanket separately or with other fabrics. If you wash your blanket with other fabrics that are not similar to you may end up causing abrasion and eventual damage. It’s, therefore, very important to avoid this if you want your blanket to remain in good shape for long.
• Not all weighted blankets are safe to be dried in hot temperatures. You need to know that some blankets are so delicate that they should not be dried under hot temperatures. To maintain the shape of the blanket carefully hang it over your clothesline Depending on the prevailing weather conditions it might take you even up to 24 hours to completely dry your weighted blanket.
• Do not iron your weighted blanket. Since putting your blanket under heat can shrink or melt the pellets, it’s important to avoid ironing your blanket. If you want to keep your blanket wrinkle-free to make sure you use blanket cover to hide the wrinkle. Instead of the blanket, it’s perfectly safe to iron the cover.
Check out today’s top 10 Best weighted blankets adults deals below…
5 Ways to Ensure that Your Weighted blanket For Adults Remain Clean
If you want your weighted blanket to remain in good shape it’s recommended that you wash it at least 4 times a year. However, due to dust, stains, and dirt you can’t just avoid washing your blanket frequently. It’s, therefore, very important to know about this. Here are some things that you need to do to avoid washing your weighted blanket frequently.
• Do not use the blanket as a bedspread. Weighed blankets are therapeutic covers hence should not be used as bed covers. After using your weighted blanket you need to fold it and keep it away. This way you can keep it from other activities that might damage or make it dirty.
• Do not sleep with your dogs when using your weighted blanket. If possible you need to avoid sleeping with your dogs while using a weighted blanket. Pets can not only cause your weighted blanket to smell but they can also shed hair and leave footprints on your blanket. If you can do without your pets ensure that you clean their paws before they climb on the bed. This will ensure that the blanket remains in good condition. You can also provide a separate easy to wash wherever they are sleeping with you.
• Avoid eating on your bed while using your weighted blanket for adults. Meals are some of the most common of stains. Since you do not want your weighted blanket to smell, it’s very important to avoid them.
• Make sure you only use your weighted blanket on the bed. If you are looking for a weighted blanket that you can use as a lap blanket or one that you can use on your couch then you need to choose a smaller blanket. As compared to full-sized blankets smaller weighted blankets are quite easy to clean. It’s, therefore, important to know about this. Since these blankets are not burdensomely transporting them from one place to another is also very easy. By using a smaller weighted blanket you’ll not worry about accidentally spilling tea or food while using the blanket.
• Use a removable cover for your weighted blanket. If you want to protect your weighted blanket from food, dust, and dirt a weighted blanket cover can comfortably do this. By using cover you’ll be cleaning the inner blanket lesser and lesser. Also, a removable weighted blanket cover is more comfortable to wash and much easier to replace.
• Spot clean stains on the blankets. If possible always spot clean any stains on your blankets. To prevent them from sticking on the blanket you need to remove the stains as soon as possible. During spot treatment, you also need to avoid using bleach since it’s likely to shrink the material used to make the blanket.
These blankets are a type of therapy that can provide similar health benefits just like deep pressure. These kinds of blankets have shown that they can improve several conditions including ADHD, autism, and anxiety. When looking for one it’s important to consider all the factors so you can end up with the best one.